Wednesday, September 4, 2013

All Settled In!

Bonjour readers!

WOW what a long couple of days it has been. Here's an update on how things are going, in the form of a list because that helps me organize my thoughts and also I'm lazy and exhausted.

1. I spent a lovely morning in the Newark airport with Ellen and Bruce. Then met the group at the gate about an hour before our flight. Things were obviously awkward because hi have you met me? I don't exactly thrive in social situations. But everyone was super excited and just as uncomfortable as me so things definitely could have been worse.

2. The flight happened and all I can say about that is if you are ever assigned to sit in the middle seat of the middle section you should ask to change seats because that really sucks. Also, if you ever fly United and they offer you "BBQ chicken" ask for the vegetarian meal instead. Also also, see the movies The Kings of Summer and The Descendants as soon as possible.

3. Geneva is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Every time I step outside I feel like I'm stepping straight into a postcard. Don't believe me? Look at this picture:

(This image brought to you by google image search. You may be surprised to find out that that's not me in the picture, nor is it anyone I know.)

SEE WHAT I MEAN!??! The BU dorm is a minute walk from Lake Geneva (or Lac LĂ©man for all you French speakers out there) and that big fountain, The Jet d'Eau, lights up in funky colors at night.

4. Orientation has spanned the past three days. Here's a sublist for you:

  • Day 1: we arrived to the dorm around 10am and immediately dove into breakfast (I ate bread and lox in case you were curious....Nikki this is the part where I give you a shout out because I know you'd rather keep up with my meals than my adventures), registration, and tours of the building and the neighborhood. Naps were taken around 4pm and then a group of us went out by the lake for a bit at night.
  • Day 2: woke up madddddd early and headed over to the University of Geneva for an orientation session that's not worth telling you about. Then we had a scavenger hunt all over the city. My feet hurt and my floor came in second. The winning team received a GIANT Toblerone bar and my team got nothing, so next time someone tells you that everyone is a winner don't you dare believe them.
  • Day 3: More orientation blah blah blah you don't care about this boring stuff
5. This afternoon my friends and I are heading on over to France for a quick grocery shopping trip. Yes you read that correctly. We are grocery shopping in France. Grocery shopping. In France. NEAT!

6. I like it here.

7. I've been taking some photos and whatnot and as soon as I have enough to start an album at some point I'll post the good ones up on here. Also check my Facebook for pictures that I don't feel comfortable showing my grandparents (sorry Selma and Joe)

8. Rosh Hashanah starts tonight and I don't have concrete plans / I'm sad about it. There are a few other members of the tribe on this trip and we're all trying to find a service to go to but we've only been here for like a minute and still don't know anything about Jewish life in this area. I'll keep you posted mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment