Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Get ready ladies and gents because I have some BIG updates for you!

Since so many of my friends back home have been asking about the food here, it's important for all of you to know that on Thursday night a group of us got crepes at this cute little restaurant across the lake and boy were they good. Mine consisted of "seasonal fruit" (aka bananas and kiwi) and A LOT of chocolate. Washed that bad boy down with some cider and called it a successful night.

I love you, crepe.
On Friday we got out of class at noon instead of the usual 5pm, which meant we had so much time for activities. First order of business: macarons. Ladurée is some French dessert chain down the street from our building that sells delicious macarons. If you are ever in this part of the world (or NYC, apparently) I highly recommend the strawberry marshmallow, salted caramel, and chocolate flavors.

The swans were fighting for my macarons and I had to fend them off
Friday was the first warm and sunny afternoon all week and you better believe we took full advantage of that. Geneva has this awesome (FREE) bike rental service here, where you can borrow a bike for up to 4 hours! All you need is a 20 franc security deposit, a passport, and a good attitude. You might also need a helmet, considering the fact that those are not free to rent. We rode bikes for a bit during the afternoon and eventually stumbled upon a zoo. Naturally I freaked out and loved every second of it, and even though I have only spent 2 Fridays here this one was definitely the best so far.

I'm still sore.

If there's one thing everyone knows about me it's that I absolutely love cheese. It is my favorite food of all time and if it was sanitary to bathe in it I would do it in a heartbeat. BU paid for a group excursion to Gruyères (aka the birthplace of gruyere aka one of my favorite types of cheese) on Saturday. We visited a cheese "museum" and some fancy castle, but the real point of this post is to tell you about the fondue that I consumed. Things you need to know: it was delicious and I almost cried when it ended.


This is my fondue eating face.
When I told people I was spending fall semester in Switzerland I heard time and time again that I just HAD to visit Interlaken, and boy were they right! For those of you unfamiliar, Interlaken is basically the hub of extreme sports in Europe and it's also currently the top contender for the most beautiful place I've ever been. While I didn't skydive or bungee jump or anything wild like that, I did go canyoning. Here's a video of random people canyoning so you can kind of understand what that entails....



Basically, I rappelled off rocks, slid down water "slides", jumped off cliffs, and peed my pants (not necessarily in that order). It was a very terrifying and thrilling experience. Eventually I'll have a video of myself partaking in these activities and I'll post it here so all 5 of you reading this blog can see.

After canyoning a group of us did a small hike and walked around the lake area for a few hours. Then we boarded the train, took our shoes off, and napped until we arrived back in Geneva.

Feeling a little narcissistic but it's my blog and I'll post my face if I want to.
Basically I love it here and I'm never coming home.


.....just kidding mom see you in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment